The Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee has the power to conduct random-based performance evaluations of judges with permanent tenure, judges with initial tenure, and judges who are eligible for promotion. The Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee performs its work and activities according to the Law on the Kosovo Judicial Council and the Regulation on Judicial Performance Evaluation, adopted by the Kosovo Judicial Council. The Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee evaluates grounds for the promotion or demotion of judges, including the initiation of removal and evaluation for purposes of reappointment.
The Committee is authorized to evaluate the performance of judges based on the following criteria:
- professional knowledge, work experience and performance, including knowledge and respect for human rights
- capacity for legal reasoning
- professional skills, based on work outcomes during the evaluation period, including participation in organized forms of training where performance is evaluated
- ability and capacity to analyze legal problems
- ability to perform tasks impartially, honestly, carefully, and responsibly
- communication skills
- off-duty conduct
- personal integrity
- number of cases remanded for retrial or re-adjudication, or number of cases overturned by higher court.
The Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee evaluates judges holding initial tenure and judges holding permanent tenure. Judges with initial tenure are evaluated at the end of the 12-month initial training and their evaluation is based on the knowledge of the theoretical and practical training components. The evaluation of judges with permanent tenure is conducted in the order determined by lottery drawing. Prior to the beginning of every calendar year, the Kosovo Judicial Council applies the “RANDOM” function on the general roster of judges in EXCEL format to select 1/3 of the judges to be subject to evaluation in the following year.
The Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee shall draft and approve an Annual Work Plan, and report to the Council where appropriate.
Secretary of the Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee:
Senior Judicial Inspector, Judicial Inspection Unit
Tel: +383 (0)38 200 18 723